Our August Club of the Month takes us to Carlisle, to visit the Sentinels who were first established in 2013. Building over the last few years, the team has ambitions to start a youth program in the future but are always on the lookout for new players to join their ranks.
- When was your club formed, where and by who?
The Carlisle Sentinels were formed in 2013 by Chris and Nicola Bond, Ed Chawner, and John Fautley
- What teams do you currently have?
We currently only field an adult team with hopes of getting a youth program started (sooner rather than later)
- Where and when do you train?
We currently train at Gilford Park in Carlisle CA1 3AF
- What are your plans for the next twelve months?
We are trying to get a seminar /fundraiser together for September, raising funds through sponsorships, and recruit well ahead of our next season
- Why should people get into American Football?
It’s a great opportunity for anyone who is looking into being part of a team yet working on personal abilities within the position they will play
- What would you consider the clubs greatest achievement?
Our first season we finished with a 3-7 record and overcame the floods of 2015 to play our 2016 campaign
- Do you have any players and coaches of note – past or present?
I’d actually rather not point any specific players out as we try to be a team that builds around everyone doing their job and playing as a team. We’ve had three seasons where we have actually had numerous players have to play both offence and defence.
- Why should people join the Sentinels?
It is a great opportunity to join a local team that does not have much recognition and get in to help grow this sport in this area of NW England
- What would be your favourite football moment ever – either domestic or international
I grew up in the States and played many years on many levels. My favourite ritual was always the playing of the national anthem before each game.
- Please sum up your club in 25 words or less!
An organisation built on the desire to be better than we were yesterday and looking to the future.
- Can you provide contact details for people wishing to join the club
Facebook: The Carlisle Sentinels