They may have only been formed in 2013, but the Iceni Spears from Norwich are growing in strength year on year and have both a flag and contact football team. Read more about how you can get involved with the team and get playing American Football in Norwich.
- When was your club formed, where and by who?
We were formed in Norwich in 2013 by Lee Baker and coaching Guru Nick Rockell – we’ve been competing and enjoying ourselves ever since.
- What teams do you currently have?
We currently have both a flag team – competing in the National Opal competiton as well as friendly competitions throughout the year. We aslo have a contact football team that competes in the National Sapphire series.
- Where and when do you train?
We have recently moved homes and now share a ground with the Norwich Devils. Its a sole use American Football field and we’re delighted to be there. We train every Sunday at 10am.
- What are your plans for next 12 months?
We are always looking to improve so a lot of training and hopefully we can improve on our position at last years tournaments. We also have a strong focus recruitment – we’d love for more women to come and join us in this amazing sport.
- Why should people get involved in American Football?
It’s a fast paced, tactical team sport that genuinely has a position for all regardless of size, height or experience. There’s an amazing community around the sport and we’re a social, friendly bunch passionate about this sport and the opportunities it can provide to compete against teams from all over the country. It’s also damn cool ?
- What would you consider the club’s greatest achievement?
Finishing just out of the top 10 in Opal a couple of seasons ago was a great achievement but our first ever contact football win against Chester was an unreal moment for us too.
- Do you have any past players/coaches of note?
We’re incredibly proud of every player and coach who has or continues to represent us – not sure we’d want to single any one out.
- Why should people join the Iceni Spears?
We’re friendly and passionate about this great sport and we’re confident that if you come and give this game a try, you’ll learn to love just as much as we do.
- What would be your favourite moment ever in football?
Our first contact win and the euphoria on our sideline at the final whistle……or a fantastic game against Wembley which saw us frantically defending 4th and Goal with only a few seconds on the clock.
- Sum up your club in 25 words or less?
Passionate, football mad, improving, competitive
- Contact Details
- Facebook Iceni Spears Twitter @icenispears email firstname.lastname@example.org